Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

AN UNCOMFORTABLE ALLIANCE!


Wednesday, October 30, 2019

AN UNCOMFORTABLE ALLIANCE!

John 15:17-19
17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

           Christianity began as an insignificant baker’s dozen plodded the streets of Jerusalem. As far as the world was concerned, this little band was hardly worth a second glance. Their leader was a poor carpenter with a questionable birth and a strange personal magnetism. He attracted a handful of societal misfits who wandered the streets and generally made of themselves a nuisance. The world hated them. Their leader was crucified, one follower committed suicide, and one-by-one the rest were dispatched in order.

           The spread of Christianity can only be described as “otherworldly.” Its growth doesn’t make much sense and what was once an obscure cult is now a worldwide force. But the bonding of Christianity and American culture is an uncomfortable alliance where both sides question whether it is appropriate to be part of the other. As long as Christianity doesn’t demand culture to radically change, the alliance is friendly but when Christianity proves itself to be truly Christian the relationship is strained. The world still hates us!

           Settle it in your heart that the world will resist zealous Christianity. You will constantly have to choose between pleasing the world or pleasing your God. You can never find a comfortable middle ground. It doesn’t exist. Stop trying to compromise with the culture because the world can offer you nothing beyond this life. Only Jesus can do that.

John 16:33
33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Dear Lord, the world is a disappointing place because I am not from here. I don’t belong here! The discomfort that I feel is due to my being displaced from my true home. Come quickly and take me to be with you. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment