Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2019

PROMINENT OR PREEMINENT?


Saturday, October 19, 2019

PROMINENT OR PREEMINENT?

Col 1:18
18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

How did I get here? Where has He gone? I remember climbing up into His lap for comfort and solace. I buried my face in his chest and he dried my tears with the folds of His robe. I looked around and the view from here was magnificent. I could see so clearly. I slid from his lap but did not want to leave this place, so I nudged Him over and sat beside Him. After awhile it seemed cramped, so I nudged Him even more and he rose and let me have the seat. Now I can’t find Him, and I need His advice. His throne has become very uncomfortable without the cushion of His lap!

PROMINENT! The word is one of honor and means “important.” In fact, Jesus is very important to many people these days. His name is called, and His presence is invoked in many public places. It has become expedient to be familiar with Him. He opens doors that would otherwise be closed and is the key to political and public advancement. He is lucky to have around!

PREEMENT! The word simply means “to be first.” Our text indicates that God the Father designed that Jesus should be the head of the church, the firstborn (literally first to rise from the dead). In all things He is to be first. He is to be first in our present engagements and not simply to have a prominent place among them. He is to be first in our finances and first in our relationships. He is to be first in any consideration of future plans. He is first!

He is first because He made himself last, made himself subject to the horrific death of the cross. As a consequence, God restored Him to his highly exalted position, replaced Him on His throne, and decreed that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow to acknowledge that He is preeminent.

Phil 2:5-11
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Dear Jesus, please return to your throne and rule my life. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment