Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2019

WHEN WE SIN!


Thursday, March 21, 2019

WHEN WE SIN!

1 John 1:7-2:2
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

           The verses above form a model for mending the broken relationship between the sinner and the Savior. As we walk along “in the light” we are able to see well enough to not stumble. In this ongoing association we enjoy ongoing cleansing because that is the sense of the Greek word katharizo. The Greek word for fellowship is koinonia which indicates both partnership and communion, but I think of it as a friendship. When I offend my friend, it strains the partnership and both are sad.

           If we pretend that we have no sin we are only fooling ourselves. The sin nature remains in every believer! It will remain until we die. We will always have to struggle against it. We do not help our cause by pretending it away. We can function in this life as a cripple, but we have to acknowledge our handicap and make adjustments. Life is harder when we pretend.

           The word confess, in verse 9, is an interesting word. It is the Greek word homologeo and means: “a confession is made; thanksgiving is offered; and a promise is made.” When I sin, I begin to restore the relationship by confessing. God responds faithfully with forgiveness. I then offer thanksgiving and promise that I will never “do that again!” I may or may not be able to keep that promise but that is the process.

           The ideal situation, in chapter 2 and verse 1, is that we live without sinning but John seems to know that is not going to happen. He explains that we have an advocate. This word is parakletos and is translated “comforter” in the gospel of John 14:16. Jesus promised that when he went away He would send another comforter. In the case of the sinner, the word parakletos means a defense attorney. When we sin Jesus speaks on our behalf to the Father. Forgiveness is then offered and cleansing prescribed.

           Our defense attorney is not only our counselor but He is the perfect and complete satisfaction the law and the Judge is requiring. The word propitiation, in chapter 2 and verse 2, is not one of our common English words but the meaning is “stain remover.” If you spill coffee on a white table cloth you might be able to cover it with talcum powder but if you want to actually remove the stain it will need to be washed. Jesus washes away our stains and satisfies the demands of the law and the Judge.

Dear Lord, when I sin, I imagine you standing with your back to me and your arms folded in disgust. I imagine you angry and unfriendly. I wonder if you will even hear my prayer but when I ask forgiveness you gently turn toward me and forgive me. You then begin to clean me up. You sternly warn me to be careful not to fall again but then you smile at me and put your arm around me. We then continue our walk together. Thank you Lord! I promise not to ever “do that again!” AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment