Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

NOT ANOTHER DROP!


Wednesday, March 27, 2019

NOT ANOTHER DROP!

Matt 26:39
39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Matt 26:56-58
Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
57 And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.
58 But Peter followed him afar off unto the high priest's palace, and went in, and sat with the servants, to see the end.

           I wonder which was worse; to flee or to follow at a distance? Peter speaks openly our own secret thoughts. He does the foolish things we only think to do. He represents us in so many ways. We want to be like steadfast Paul but more often we resemble Peter.

           The ancients spoke with a language that seems more like poetry to us. I often bemoan the loss of our own language. Jesus was given a cup to drink and he emptied it of the very last drop. It was required of him to satisfy the just demands of His offended Father. He sweat great drops of blood as he contemplated the cost of my redemption. Once that horrible cost was fully known He drank the cup.

           Peter followed “afar off” so that he could “see the end.” When asked about his relationship with Christ, he denied any such relationship three times. The rooster faithfully crowed his message of condemnation and Peter went out and wept bitterly.

At The Cross

But drops of grief can ne'er repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give my self away
'Tis all that I can do.

Dear Lord, let me not add one more drop to the cup you have already drunk. Let me neither flee not follow afar off but hold firm and steadfast by your side. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment