Pages

Monday, March 4, 2019

BUT THOU, O LORD!


Monday, March 4, 2019

BUT THOU, O LORD!

Ps 3:2-4
2 Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.
3 But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
4 I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.

           David looked around and realized that things were bad and getting worse. “For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side: while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life. But I trusted in thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my God.” Ps 31:13-14

           He is my Shield! The storms of life and the fiery darts of the Wicked One assault us in many forms—demonic oppression, illness, financial worries, weaknesses of many kinds. But our great Shield protects us from them all. Just as at the cross, Christ stands in for us and is able to take the fierce onslaught of all evil, sin, and death.

           He is my Glory! He is the source and cause of all my honor. I am nothing and have done nothing to deserve the attention and accolades that I receive. Even my most brilliant success is only evidence of His power working in me.

           He is the Lifter up of my head! The circumstances of life and the opposition those who should be friends may discourage me but he gently reaches down and lifts my chin with His tender hand. He looks deep into my eyes and then gives me an approving smile. I hear Him say: “I’ve got this! It will be OK!”

           Think about it! Warren Wiersbe comments on the strange little word “Selah.” “This is the first use of "Selah" in Scripture (vv. 2, 4, 8); it is used seventy-one times in the Psalms and three times in Habakkuk 3. Hebraists aren't agreed whether it comes from words meaning "to lift up" or "to be silent." If the first, then it might be a signal for louder voices or the lifting and blowing the trumpets, perhaps even the lifting of hands to the Lord. If the second, it could signal a pause, a moment of silence and meditation.
(from The Bible Exposition Commentary: Old Testament © 2001-2004 by Warren W. Wiersbe. All rights reserved.)

Dear Lord, be my shield today. You are my glory. You encourage me when I am cast down. Let me think about this all the day long. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment