Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2019

ON BEING GHOSTED!


Sunday, March 3, 2019

ON BEING GHOSTED!

John 6:66-67
66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

           I am a bit slow in keeping up with current terms, but I’ve just learned a new one. It is called being “ghosted.” You may not know the term but you know the action. It is being suddenly shunned by friends without any explanation.

           Jesus experienced it when he presented a teaching that was difficult to understand. Huge crowds followed Him when He was distributing food but they “walked no more with Him” when he presented challenging truth.

           Pastors should be immune to the emotions associated with being “ghosted” but we are not. It happens frequently. A couple will have marital trouble and the pastor, and often the church, will be “ghosted” by both parties. The pastor and church are the very ones who can help to provide healing but those who suffer “walk no more with us.” It must be a form of insanity.

           Being “ghosted” is simply being rejected without any indictment and without rebuttal. Christians – church members – are not supposed to act this way. Jesus said:  Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. Matt 18:15

Ps 27:9-10
9 Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
10 When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up.

Dear Lord, let me be a true friend to my friends and let me not hide myself from you. AMEN

1 comment:

  1. Sadly it is all too common in churches. Not only are you ghosted, but the ghosters gossip about you in the form of Christian concern by sharing prayer requests about the sinner in question who must be avoided lest the contamination be contagious.
    Happened to us at Victory, I never found out why. The staff weren't in on it but various former friends would avoid us. Once I got over the sting of it it was rather funny seeing how they would literally trip over their own feet to avoid our family.

    ReplyDelete