Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2019

NOT KNOWING!


Thursday, March 28, 2019

NOT KNOWING!

Acts 20:22-24
22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:
23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

Heb 11:8-10
8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

           The phrase “not knowing” is found seven times in the Bible. A few times it refers to someone’s ignorance or confusion but these two times it refers to a life lived by faith. In the book of Acts, Paul felt very strongly that he should travel to Jerusalem. His friends tried to warn him that persecution, prison and possible death awaited him there. It should have been strong motivation not to go but Paul was driven by a desire to complete the assignments given to him by the Lord.

           Abraham was “called” to go out, but the destination was uncertain. Not knowing, he had a choice to make. He could either go or not. He could obey or not. He could trust or not. I find it very interesting that Abraham did not only sojourn TO but IN the land of promise. Wherever he went, whatever the circumstance, God was there with him leading him not only step by step but inch by inch. He did not know – could not know – but God knew and that was enough.

         Because we like to know, we do not feel led but abducted by God! Often, He kicks over our comfortable habitat and scatters our pleasant things so that we will no longer want to stay where we have for a long time been. We are then cast upon a journey to a place where God always wanted us to be. What we thought was a destination was actually a pleasant oasis. Now it is time to saddle the camels and ride. It is not always fun not knowing.

Ps 32:8
8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

Dear Lord, my entire day is already planned but only you know how things are going to play out – and that is enough. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment