Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2019

TEARS IN A BOTTLE!


Saturday, February 16, 2019

TEARS IN A BOTTLE!

Ps 56:8-9
8 Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?
9 When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.

           The Psalmist alludes to an ancient custom of putting the tears which were shed for the death of any person into small phials called lacrymatories or urnae lacrymales and offering them on the tomb of the deceased. Some of these were of glass, some of pottery, and some of agate, sardonyx, etc.
(from Adam Clarke's Commentary.)

           Notice that the Psalmist does not say THE bottle but THY bottle. He personalizes the collection as the Lord’s alone. The clear idea is that God collects, or is at least aware of, our tears.

           We must not forget David’s “wanderings” because God does not forget. Dr. Barnes says of that: “thou dost notice me as I am driven from one place to another to find safety. "My wanderings," to Gath, 1 Sam 21:10; to the cave of Adullam, 1 Sam 22:1; to Mizpeh, in Moab, 1 Sam 22:3; to the forest of Hareth, 1 Sam 22:5; to Keilah, 1 Sam 23:5; to the wilderness of Ziph, 1 Sam 23:14; to the wilderness of Maon, 1 Sam 23:25; to En-gedi, 1 Sam 24:1-2. (from Barnes' Notes)

           Our tears are first collected and then recorded in a special book of remembrance. The idea is that God has taken an exact account of the tears I have shed regarding this business and will call all my enemies into account for every tear.

           According to the Mayo Clinic, there is a legitimate and specific medical condition called “taktsubo cardiomyopathy” – or heartbreak syndrome. The large chamber of the heart constrict or becomes swollen and can mimic a heart attack. This can be triggered by the loss of a loved one or other stressful situations. The cure seems to be the emotional release of crying.

Ps 6:8-9
8 Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the Lord hath heard the voice of my weeping.
9 The Lord hath heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer.

Dear Lord, grant your people peace and release from their stress. Remove Satan’s strangle hold on our heart and fight for us. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment