Pages

Friday, February 1, 2019

EXTREME MERCY!


Friday, February 1, 2019

EXTREME MERCY!

1 Tim 1:12-15
12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

           Yesterday we looked at the idea of being made WORTHY and today we will peer in on Paul as he explains his transformation through mercy. Like Paul, I often question whether God got a good deal when he saved me and placed me in the ministry.

           The enabling that Paul mentions is that ability that he did not have and could not have developed without having received it from God. It is the ability to accomplish more than your strength and more than your wisdom. It is one of those every day miracles that we often discount as normal.

           Paul refers to his former state as injurious. It is the Greek word hubristes (hoo-bris-tace’) and it means “an insulter; a maltreater; one who is despiteful and disrespectful.” Our English word “hubris” is not commonly used but it sounds like our Greek word. Hubris means “having extreme pride or self confidence.  Hateful Saul was on a collision course with loving God.

           As Paul looked at God he could find none more Holy. As he looked at himself he could find none more “injurious”. He, the chief of sinners, was the recipient of grace he did not ask for and mercy he did not deserve.

He took my sins and my sorrows
He made them His very own
He bore the burden to Calvary
And He suffered and died alone

Dear Lord, thank you for the changes you have already made in me. There is much more work for you to do, I’m afraid. Let me yield to your influence and cooperate with your efforts. Make me into something useful and beneficial. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment