Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2018

I WANT SOMETHING!


Thursday, November 8, 2018



I WANT SOMETHING!



Matt 5:6

6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.



John 6:35

35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.



           “I want something!” It is an often repeated late night comment that I will say to my wife or she will say to me. We understand it to mean some craving for a late night snack. Perhaps a small, or large, dish of ice cream or maybe some popcorn or SOMETHING is offered to satisfy the munchies. Sometimes we will finish the snack and say to each other: “That wasn’t it.”



           The hunger and thirst after righteousness is felt by many but recognized by few. We sample our way through life trying to satisfy a spiritual hunger with worldly fare. The result is that we are not only unsatisfied but frustrated and full of the wrong stuff. The hunger grows and a bitter aftertaste is left from those things we have sampled.



“The biggest enemy of the Church is the development and proliferation of programs to meet people's needs. Everyone has a hunger for God, but our tastes (needs) are screwed up. We've been raised on junk food, so what we ask for is often wrong or twisted.” -- Eugene Peterson in The Door (Nov. /Dec. 1991). Christianity Today, Vol. 37, no. 8.



Ps 90:14

14 O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.



Dear Lord, help me to properly understand what I am hungry for … then fill me with you. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment