Pages

Friday, November 16, 2018

A COMFORT TO ME!


Friday, November 16, 2018

A COMFORT TO ME!

Col 4:11
11 And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me.

           The word comfort as used here is not the same word as is used when Jesus spoke of the Holy Spirit. Here the Greek word as well as the English word is paregoric! I suppose you have to be of a certain vintage to remember your mother giving you a dose of paregoric. I remember it as a cloudy clear liquid that she mixed with water and had me drink it. It settled the stomach and, I suppose, settled the child. You can’t buy it anymore without a prescription because it is a narcotic. My childhood survived many such things that are now considered dangerous.

Jesus Justus was a Jewish believer who served with Paul, but we know nothing about him. The name Jesus (Joshua) was a popular Jewish name, and it was not unusual for Jewish people to have a Roman name as well (Justus). He represents all those faithful believers who serve God but receive little recognition. These were Paul’s paregoric! They eased his pain and settled him down. Oh! How very important are these unsung faithful ones!

You may not realize it but your acts of kindness and cooperation may ease someone’s pain and settle their nerves. You also may be totally unaware that you are the source of someone’s comfort. God bless you for your steadfast faithfulness for it is a great comfort to me and to others.

Dear Jesus, thank you for the many unheralded servants that provide soothing and comfort. May I learn to be one of them. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment