Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2018

A SHEPHERD TO THE VERY END!


A SHEPHERD TO THE VERY END!

John 18:3-9
3 Judas then, having received a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons.
4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?
5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.
6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.
7 Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth.
8 Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way:
9 That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.

           Jesus showed himself to be the Good Shepherd to the very end by demonstrating great care for his flock. He “knew all things that should come upon him” but he did not panic and flee. He did not hide behind his flock in order to save himself, in fact verse 4 says “he went forth” which means that he thrust himself to the front.

Even the restoration of Malchus’ ear was an act of protection for the impetuous Peter. By restoring the ear he literally removed any reason to accuse Peter of any wrongdoing. Oh, how many times has he had to make right the foolish wrongs I have done?

John 10:11-14
11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

A man after God’s own heart was David in the sheepcotes. Forced by his occupation to spend lonely nights in the cold damps without complaining, when the enemy came he thrust himself to the front of the fray, grabbed the enemy by the beard and smote him. David the shepherd was well prepared to face giant challenges because of his love for the sheep. Jesus did not learn from David, rather David received his shepherd’s heart from his God.

1 Sam 17:34-35
34 And David said unto Saul, Thy servant kept his father's sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock:
35 And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth: and when he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him.

           In a final act of caring, Jesus delivered his mother into the care of one of his more faithful followers. In John 19, Jesus looked at John and said “behold thy mother.” From that time on John assumed the care of Mary. Three verses later Jesus cries “It is finished!”

John 13:1
13:1 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

Kind Shepherd, you have loved me with an everlasting love – and you love me still. You stand in the way of danger so that I might be safe. You took the blows that were meant for me. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life for I am cared for by The Great Shepherd of the sheep. Thank you Lord. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment