Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2018

A GIFT OF PATIENT GRACE!


A GIFT OF PATIENT GRACE!

Matt 18:23-35
23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.


           The word “patient” in verses 26 and 29 is the word makrothumeo and means “to bear with; to suffer long or to patiently endure.” Certainly I am not perfect and require many people throughout the day to patiently endure my faults. The story that Jesus told points this out and requires us to show the same kind of patient grace to others.

           We who are church people think we know the meaning of the word grace. Flippantly we will say it is God’s riches at Christ’s expense. This dismisses anyone who questions us without actually having to give an answer. Someone has said that grace is “the desire and ability to do God’s will.” However Merriam-Webster has a lengthy definition of the word which includes: “a temporary respite.” Grace, then, can be a temporary pardon until a better pattern of behavior is learned. That is certainly what I need!

           Today you will need others to extend to you patient grace. I know this is true because you are human and imperfect. Today you will be given many opportunities to extend patient grace to others. When we are tempted to cut someone short because of their imperfections – let us remember our own.

Dear Lord, thank you for the patient grace that you extend to me so many times. Help me to be gracious to others. Let others see Jesus in me today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment