Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2018

OLD FRIENDS!



OLD FRIENDS!

James 2:23
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

John 15:14-17
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.

          Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary defines the word “friend” as: one who is not hostile; an acquaintance; one attached to another by respect or affection. This morning I realize that I have friends scattered all over the world. Some are old friends and some are older. I think there are few things more valuable than old friends.

          Modern technology makes it possible to shorten the miles that separate me from my old friends. Instead of a paper and ink letter that may take days to deliver, I can send and receive an electronic message instantly. If I want to see their face tiny cameras make that possible in real time. It is a marvelous age in which we live and yet I marvel at how quickly my friends and especially their children grow older without my observance.

          God is my friend. Let that truth sink down into your soul and apply Webster’s definition. God is an acquaintance with whom I share respect and affection. We share secrets and fond memories of bits of life shared together. Because He loves me He will never lead me astray. Because He respects me His plans for me are always good plans and His gifts to me are always the best. He is a good friend. He will never side with my enemy against me. Even when we disagree He remains a true friend. 

          As God’s friend I sometimes struggle to fulfill the proper definition of friendship. Though God has always proven himself to be trustworthy I often do not trust him. Sometimes I even side with his enemy against him. I wander away from his companionship. I am not a very good friend but I love my Friend and He loves me.

Dear Lord, thank you that I have many old friends and that you are one of them. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment