Pages

Thursday, October 12, 2017

IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS!



IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS!

1 Thess 5:16-18
16 Rejoice evermore.
17 Pray without ceasing.
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

           Set in the midst of a list of short admonitions, Paul gives us a seeming impossibility. Give thanks in everything. Seriously? Everything? How can I thank God for the pain and heartache I am now experiencing?

           It is a matter of perspective. I met two friends who are pastors. One is retired and the other is nearing retirement. One tearfully said to me “I’m just trying to figure out who I am.” The other has had two heart attacks and his wife has cancer. I bowed my head and thanked my God for my current trouble.

           It is a matter of surrender. Paul strengthened his admonition by saying “for this is the will of God.” If I can’t understand God’s plan then I must rely on His character and loving nature. He does all things well.

           It is personal. “For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus – concerning YOU!”

Dear Lord, I don’t understand your purpose for my pain but I trust your heart. Thank you for my measure of pain for it is designed just for me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment