Pages

Thursday, October 26, 2017

GOD NEVER PANICS!



GOD NEVER PANICS!
(a CLASSIC devotional from 2010)

Ps 91:1-2
91:1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

Panic is the result of challenges that are greater than our store of resources. We come up against a force too strong to deal with and we run away. This happens often with men but never with God. He has an unlimited supply of options at His disposal. His strength is unmatched.

Secret Place! The idea from the Hebrew word is simply a “cover,” hiding place or disguise. The idea of a “secret” place suggests an inner circle of those initiated into a choice brotherhood. It is a place for insiders, for those who are intimately acquainted with “the Most High.” It is a place of acceptance no matter how diverse may be the individual members of this secret society. They have status. They are granted entrance and protection.

Shadow of the Almighty! The Hebrew is Shadday (shad-dah'-ee) and springs from one of the names of God, El Shaddai. Shaddai itself occurs forty-eight times in the Old Testament and is translated "almighty." The other word so like it, and from which we believe it to be derived, occurs twenty-four times and is translated "breast." As connected with the word breast, the title Shaddai signifies one who nourishes, supplies, satisfies. The Egyptian goddess Isis was clustered over with breasts because all things are sustained or nourished by the earth or nature." The same was true of the idol of the Ephesian goddess Diana in Acts 19, for Diana signified nature and the world with all its products.
(from Names of God, Copyright 1944 by The Moody Bible Institute of Chicago.)

Perhaps that is too much information for this early in the morning but the idea is that God is quite capable of satisfying the needs of His people! The Almighty is all-mighty.

When I first became pastor of my current church the secretary had a small item on top of her file cabinet which read simply “God Never Panics!” I will never forget misreading it for the very first time as “God Never PUNTS!” When you think about it, it still makes good sense. If God had a football team there would be no punts!

Dear Lord, I know I can hide in your secret place today. I am a member of beloved band and have access to the “hideout.” I know also that I have no need that can’t be more than adequately met by your rich supply. Let there be no panic today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment