Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2015

ELOHIM!


ELOHIM!


Deut 10:17
17 For the Lord  your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

Gen 17:1
17 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord  appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

Gen 35:11
11 And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins;

Isa 9:6
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.


The Meaning of the Word

There is some difference of opinion as to the root from which Elohim is derived. Some hold to the view that it is derived from the shorter word ‎El‎, which means mighty, strong, prominent. This word El  itself is translated "God" some 250 times and frequently in circumstances which especially indicate the great power of God. (from Names of God, Copyright 1944 by The Moody Bible Institute of Chicago.)


The Force of the Word

          Deuteronomy 10:17 declares that this Almighty God does not regard persons. The word translated “regardeth” is nasa’ and literally means “to lift.” Why would God favor one of His creations over another – unless there was some purpose to it? I can’t claim that I am not being advanced in my cause because of some prejudice on God’s part. All are His creations. He does not lift or advance one above another. I am encouraged, then, to note that my labor is not in vain. I am also encouraged to note that God looks upon me with the same love, and attention that He gives to others I think are privileged.

          The verse also declares that “He taketh not reward!” The God who IS all, HAS all, and OWNS it all can’t be swayed by any offering of mine be it silver or service. I cannot give to God anything that He does not already own! He is the ALL-mighty God. There is no possibility of bribing Him or working to earn His favors. My salvation – and all of His loving care toward me – is due totally to His grace and not to my works. (see Ephesians 2:8,9)


The Promise of the Word

          Because God is all powerful and all mighty, He is able to keep promises. No circumstance can hinder Him from what He has promised to do. When Mary asked: “How can this thing be seeing I know not a man?” The angel replied in explanation: “the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee.” The word translated “highest” is the Greek word hupistos and means “supreme.” If God promises then God will perform for nothing shall be impossible to God.


Jesus and the Word

          In Isaiah 9:6,7 the child born and the Son given is referred to as the mighty God – literally “the mighty El.” Jesus, then, is that mighty Elohim. As such He does not ask permission from the Father to act because He is one with the Father. “Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him. John 8:28-29

O Sovereign God, you have created and you govern. The vast universe in a sea of universes are crafted by Thy mighty hand. You bring cosmos out of chaos and peace in the midst of the storm. It is a light thing to Thee. None can frustrate your promises. My soul takes comfort in such an almighty God. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment