Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

SAFE AT HOME!

SAFE AT HOME!

Luke 15:21-24
21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

           Charles Spurgeon, in quoting a story by Christmas Evans, ponders the thoughts of the prodigal. We see him seated at the banquet table robed in the finest and feasting on the best but he does not eat and there are tears in his eyes. The father asks, “My son, why are you sad? This is a time of joy!” The son looks deeply into the father’s eyes and says, “Father, I need to know that I am truly forgiven. I have done such wrong and have wasted so much. I need to know that you have forgiven me.” And the Father says… I will be merciful to [your] unrighteousness, and [your] sins and [your] iniquities will I remember no more. Heb 8:12

           Later the son was seen weeping again and the father says, “What troubles you now my son?” The son says tearfully, “Father I do not trust myself. I feel that if left to myself I may play the prodigal again!” At this the father replied, “I will put my fear into your heart and you will stay with me forever. I will never let you go.”

           Dear fellow prodigal, we have been thoroughly forgiven and safely received into the household of the father. Even though we may never feel worthy, we enjoy all the benefits of this relationship of grace. We may not trust ourselves but we can surely trust the father when He says he will never leave us nor let us go.

Dear Father, thank you for your complete forgiveness and your assurance that I will never be turned out. I can go on my way rejoicing because of your unconditional love. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment