Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

HOW TO HUG JESUS!

HOW TO HUG JESUS!

Mark 10:13-16
13 And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.
14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
16 And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.

I have already made coffee and finished my first cup. I am, by nature, contemplative. I like to think. I like the peace and quiet that dwells in the morning hours. David talked about “preventing the dawn” which did not, of course, mean that he would or could keep it from happening but that he was up before dawn.

In these morning hours I like to challenge my patterns and practices, evaluate my priorities and re-think those things that have become commonplace. You see, our usual and comfortable way of doing things can, if we are not careful, make us Pharisaical. We judge others because they do not do things or think things in the same way as we.

           The children didn’t know the rituals and of religion. They worshipped without protocol. They simply crawled up into the lap of Jesus. That’s what I like to do! The older I get the more child-like I prefer my worship to be. It’s much more personal. Like the children, I want Him to take me up in His arms.

           Some today are absolutely convinced that true worship can’t be done without special garments and sanctified tools. Their worship is structured and formal. It is the same every time. On the other end of the spectrum are those who seem to have no structure at all. One seems to have removed all emotion while the other seems to have removed all order.

Dare we to let our spirits soar without some structure and order? Dare we maintain strict order and structure without heart? There seems to be no right or wrong way to hug Jesus.

Dear Lord, I love you. I do not love you enough and I fear that I am clumsy about it but I love you. Receive my worship today and let it be acceptable in thy sight. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment