Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

WHAT CAN I GIVE TO GOD?

WHAT CAN I GIVE TO GOD?

Ps 4:5 KJV
5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.

What can I give to a God who owns everything? The verse above suggests two very lovely gifts for any occasion.

1. THE GIFT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS!

The Hebrew for “righteousness” is tsedeq and means that which is morally and legally right. This is not the righteousness we get FROM God but the morally and legally righteousness we give TO God. It means that God wants me to make right decisions, have right attitudes and that my heart should be right as well.

The Psalmist recognizes “doing right” to be a sacrifice, literally “a slaughter.” It indicates that doing right is not natural for fallen man. It requires something from man and limits at least his freedom to do wrong.

The whole idea is to slaughter my “right” to self expression and self motivation and to do those things that are well pleasing to God. It may require extra effort on my part or it may require me to actually lose something of value but I willing sacrifice those things as part of my gift to God.

2. THE GIFT OF TRUST!

The word batach which is the basis for “put your trust in the Lord” is not as easily understood. It means to confide in, to flee for refuge, and to rest without suspecting danger. It means to rely so fully in the Lord’s guardianship that I can sleep through a storm. It is, after all, the same kind of trust Jesus placed in the Father.

Mark 4:37-40
37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.
38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?

Dear Lord, today I offer you two gifts that are not easy for me to give up. First I offer the gift of doing right. Next I offer my complete trust and confidence in you no matter the storm that rages around me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment