Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

HE IS MY COUNSELOR!

HE IS MY COUNSELOR!

Isa 9:6
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Ps 16:7-9
7 I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.
8 I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.

The Hebrew ya’ats (yaw-ats) means to advise, to deliberate and to resolve. Isn’t that what we desire when we need a good counselor? It is the same Hebrew word used in both portions above. Counsellor is His name! The government rests upon His shoulder.

1. GOOD COUNSEL IS NEEDED WHEN I AM IN TROUBLE!

A good lawyer is a must when I am in trouble. As a sinner that trouble means my eternal damnation if convicted and sentenced according to my guilt. A good lawyer knows the ins and outs of the law. A good lawyer will get me off the hook. Jesus did this for me.

Col 2:14
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances [indictments] that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.

Ø     Blotting out the indictments. Erasing them from any court records so that they may never be found.
Ø     Nailed them to the cross. Posting them openly as proof of final judgment.

2. GOOD COUNSEL IS NEEDED WHEN I AM CONFUSED!

Ps 16:7
7 I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins [my own thoughts] also instruct me in the night seasons.

Our own thoughts [reins] are often unreliable at the times when we most need good advice. We sleeplessly wrestle with the knotty issues of life without resolution.  We struggle to put all the pieces together but can’t. We need trustworthy advice.

Isa 30:21
21 And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

3. GOOD COUNSEL IS NEEDED WHEN I NEED PROTECTION!

Ps 16:8
8 I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

The right hand was regarded as the post of honor and dignity, but it is also mentioned as a position of defense or protection. To have one at our right hand is to have one near us who can defend us. Thus, in Ps 109:31, "He shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him," etc. So Ps 110:5, "The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath." Ps 121:5, "The Lord is thy Keeper; the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand." The idea is, that as we use the right hand in our "own" defense, we seem to have an additional and a needed helper when one is at our right hand. The sense here is, that the psalmist felt that God, as his Protector, was always near him; always ready to interpose for his defense.
(from Barnes' Notes, Electronic Database Copyright © 1997, 2003 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

Dear Lord, be at my right hand today to give me good advice, to protect me and to represent me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment