Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

SHARING THE WORLD’S CONTEMPT FOR JESUS!

SHARING THE WORLD’S CONTEMPT FOR JESUS!

Matt 10:25
25 It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?

The word “enough” is found in the King James Version of the Bible some 32 times. Here it is from the Greek arketos and means “satisfactory!” Verse 25 is part of a larger teaching of Jesus as he sent out the twelve to preach. He warned them that their message would not be universally well received.

 Matt 10:17-18
17 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;
18 And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.

Matt 10:16
16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Regarding the word “Beelzebub” we read the following: "Beelzebub" was a god of the Ekronites. See 2 Kings 1:2. The word literally means "the god of flies," so called because this idol was supposed to protect them from the numerous swarms of flies with which that country abounded. The correct reading here, as in Luke 11:15,18-19; Mark 3:22, is supposed to be, not "Beelzebub," but "Beelzebul" (Griesbach, Hahn, Robinson, Lexicon) an Aramean form of the word meaning the "god of dung" or "filth." The name, thus altered by the Jews by changing a single letter, was given to Satan to express supreme contempt and aversion.
(from Barnes' Notes, Electronic Database Copyright © 1997, 2003 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

Matt 5:10-12
10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

The word “persecuted” is the Greek word dioko which means “to flee as one being pursued.” The word itself focuses on the victim, the one running away. Now, I suppose that not many of us have been persecuted in the same manner as was our Lord. I have had some very uncomplimentary things said to me and probably more things said about me. I’ve had people refuse to shake my hand and at least one person threaten me but I have not shared a fraction of the sufferings of Christ.

Heb 12:4
4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Dear Lord, I enjoy the fruits of your sufferings and have not been so cruelly mistreated. Let me quit my complaining and count my blessings today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment