Pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

HE’S CALLED FATHER!

HE’S CALLED FATHER!

John 14:6-9 KJV
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

We read this from Adam Clarke’s Commentary:

[Philip] This apostle was a native of Bethsaida in Galilee. Eusebius says he was a married man, and had several daughters. Clemens Alexandrinus mentions it as a thing universally acknowledged that it was this apostle who, when commanded by our Lord to follow him, said, Let me first go and bury my father, Matt 8:21-22. Theodoret says he preached in the two Phrygias; and Eusebius says he was buried in Phrygia Pacatiana. He must not be confounded with Philip the deacon, spoken of Acts 6:5.
(from Adam Clarke's Commentary, Electronic Database. Copyright © 1996, 2003 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

One source says that God is referred to as “Father” only about 15 times in the Old Testament but 245 times in the New Testament!  In the Old Testament the names of God often reveal the awesome majesty of His nature but in the New Testament God comes down and dwells with man. Notice how tenderly John describes this condescension.

John 1:14 KJV
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Yesterday a gentleman came into the office to tell me he and his family intended to join our church. Before he left he asked me what I preferred to be called. I told him that some call me “preacher” because that is what I do. Others have known me long enough to call me “pastor” because our relationship has grown and they have granted me permission to shepherd their souls. Still others call me Brother Abbott or Pastor Abbott simply in recognition of my office. Only a few call me by my first name without regard to office or relationship. Of all my titles and monikers the one I like best is Father or Dad.

Father is an apt description of God since He is the source of my life and in the midst of life He is the one I can turn to for provision and advice. Yes, Father is a wonderful way to describe God.

Dear Father, thank you for bending way down to my lowly level to walk with me today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment