Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

PERSERVERING THROUGH PAIN!

PERSERVERING THROUGH PAIN!

2 Cor 4:16-18
16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

          Someone said “pain is inevitable but misery is optional.” I know many saints who go smiling through life and you would never know the pain they carry. I know others who whine through life and are all too eager to fully describe to you their pain. The difference is what Paul calls “the inward man.”

          Pain occupies our mind relentlessly demanding our first and exclusive consideration. We can allow this pain to invade all areas of our life or we can drag it along like an unwelcome guest. I think Paul offers us several suggestions for dealing with our pain.

1. FOCUS ON OUR RENEWABLE RESOURCE!

The outward man is wearing away. In fact the meaning of the word “perish” in verse 16 is not pleasant for it means “to rot thoroughly.” On the other hand the inward man, that spiritual part, is being freshly renewed day by day and will never die!

 John 11:26
26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

2. GAIN A GODLY PERSPECTIVE!

Paul calls it “light” affliction and yet he was beaten with rods, stoned and left for dead, chained in the stocks hands and feet and shipwrecked. Most of us would not consider that to be light. Paul also shows us his perspective on the duration of affliction. He says it is “but for a moment.” He focused on that which was going to last.

2 Cor 12:7-9
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.

Paul complained most, not about shipwreck, but about what he called a thorn in the flesh. While we are not told what it was, whether physical or mental anguish, we know that it was persistent and would not go away. Ultimately he finished his ministry leaning weakly on the strength of Christ.

3. SEE THE FRUIT OF PAIN BRAVELY BORNE!

Paul said that pain “works for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory.” The Greek for “worketh” means to accomplish, finish, and fashion.” So we see that it was the pain that was the agent of change. It is the cause while glory is the result. That is why Paul was able to boldly say: “Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” (2 Cor 12:9)
We are quick to give the Devil his due but Paul knew that when pain was present God was at work.

Savior, today I could focus on my pain or I could focus on your strength. Let me choose rightly. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment