Pages

Friday, March 3, 2023

THAT OTHER MAN

 

Friday, March 3, 2023

 

THAT OTHER MAN

 

Rom 7:22-24

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? KJV

 

          Most of us would admit that there seems to be another individual living inside us. We have secret conversations with this person and even argue at times. Who is this person? Well, the Bible speaks of him often.

 

          Romans seven is one of the most agonizing chapters I have ever read. Not because it is so confusing, but because I understand it so well. Paul is having an internal struggle with that other man. The word “law” is nomo and indicates that which is parceled out as food is given to grazing animals. The idea seems to be that while he is trying to feed one self, another hungry self shoulders in for a portion. There seems to be no resolution to the conflict. Paul drags around this body without relief.

 

          In several places Paul tries to explain how to manage this struggle. One must be put on and the other must be put off (Col. 3:10). This new man is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him. In another place, Paul said that he must “die daily.” How can that be? Once again, he tries to explain.

 

Gal 2:19-20

19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. KJV

 

Rom 6:11-12

11 Likewise reckon [consider it so] ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. KJV

 

Dear Lord, as the argument continues with that other man inside, let me say no to all that displeases you so that I may say yes to you. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment