Pages

Thursday, March 30, 2023

STANDING ALONE

 

Thursday, March 30, 2023

 

STANDING ALONE

 

Josh 24:13-15

13 And I [the Lord] have given you a land for which ye did not labour, and cities which ye built not, and ye dwell in them; of the vineyards and oliveyards which ye planted not do ye eat.

14 Now therefore fear the Lord, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the Lord.

15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

 

          On April 18, 1521, a priest named Martin Luther appeared before the Pope and Emperor Charles V to answer charges and to recant his teachings. His answer has eleven points and is too lengthy to print here. His eleventh point has come to be known as his “Here I Stand” speech. What follows is his conclusion.

 

          Since your most serene majesty and your lordships require of me a simple, clear and direct answer, I will give one, and it is this: Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures and by clear reason (for I do not trust in the pope or councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted. My conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. Here I stand. I cannot do otherwise. God help me. Amen.

 

         Sometimes it becomes necessary to stand alone; to make a unilateral decision. Joshua made a firm decision for himself and for his family. You may soon be called upon to do the same.

 

Dear Lord, if the time comes when I must choose to stand alone, give me courage and wisdom to choose wisely. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment