Pages

Saturday, March 25, 2023

A LULLABY FOR ADULTS

 

Saturday, March 25, 2023

 

A LULLABY FOR ADULTS

 

Jer 31:25-26

25 For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.

26 Upon this I awaked, and beheld; and my sleep was sweet unto me.

 

          I confess that sometimes my thoughts seem strange to others. I think deeply and am given to strong emotion whether soft or fierce. For those similarly constructed, we wonder why there are no lullabies for adults. Perhaps it is because we have believed our own lie that we don’t need them. But it is a lie.

 

          For those times when we have done our best and our best was not good enough, we need the soothing stroke of a gentle hand on our brow and a soft word in our ear. It is the reason God said, “it is not good that man should be alone.” This is grace.

 

          For those times when fear grips our heart because we are confronted with a challenge far greater than ourselves, we need the strength of One who is stronger still. This is confidence.

 

          For those times when grief has emptied us of tears and caused our insides to melt like wax within us, we need the comfort of the Holy Spirit. This is consolation.

 

          Michael Strand has written a Lullaby for Adults. A portion of that lullaby goes like this:

 

You worked hard to make things go. You have struggled through this day. Did you find what you’ve been searching for? Now it’s time for bed.

 

 

Sleep will bring you some relief. Things will change, forget your grief. Tomorrow will be another day, ...

 

Dear Lord, I and others like me long for Peace, Grace, Confidence, and Consolation. These, and other blessings, we may find in your house, at your feet. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment