Pages

Monday, March 13, 2023

FACES!

 

Monday, March 13, 2023

 

FACES!

 

Jer 1:4-8

4 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,

5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

6 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.

7 But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.

8 Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD.

KJV

 

HARSH FACES

 

          Jeremiah would encounter more than stage fright when he addressed a people in desperate need of a prophet. He would see faces of flint emanating from hearts of stone. His opinion of himself was not confident and certainly not boastful. In the mirror of his mind, he saw not a man but a child. God, on the other hand, saw a man of might.

 

          Interestingly, other translations soften the description of Jeremiah’s audience. They simply tell him not to be afraid. Yet the word face is most certainly there and should remain. Jeremiah would not preach to adoring and smiling faces from the backside of his pulpit.

 

HONEST FACES

 

2 Cor 3:18

18 But we all, with open face (unveiled faces) beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. KJV

 

          Marvelously, the word of God is able to change the heart and soften the faces of those who will yield to it. This change takes some time as evidenced by the words “from glory to glory.” Those who minister in the Word must be patient.

 

HOLY FACES

 

Rev 5:6

9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; KJV

 

          I hesitate to make longer an already lengthy devotional, but I want to assure those who may be discouraged thinking that their labor is in vain. I have borrowed a few lyrics from a song by Greater Vision called FACES.

 

I dreamed my life was done

I stood before god's son

It was time to see what my reward would be

With love he reviewed my life

To count what was done for Christ

For that is what will last eternally

 

See I'd done my best to share

That Jesus really cares

And He would save if they just believe

Oh, but seldom did harvest come

And so few did I see won

Until the lord said, "turn around and see."

 

Then he showed me the faces of the ones who'd come because of me

So many faces that my life had led to Calvary

All those years I thought nobody saw as I labored in lowly places

That's when Jesus smiled and showed me all the faces

 

Lord, encourage the hearts of your servants today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment