Pages

Friday, March 10, 2023

NOSTALGIA

 

Friday, March 10, 2023

 

NOSTALGIA

 

Ps 143:5-6

5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.

6 I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land. Selah. KJV

 

          Nostalgia is a sentimentality for a period of time that held pleasant things. Nostalgia is formed from two Greek words, one meaning “homecoming” and the other meaning “despair or sorrow”.  Most things we fondly remember were seldom as wonderful as we remember them.

 

          David spent much of his time dodging spears and deflecting conspiracies. He and his small band were constantly on the run from the rage of King Saul. Later he was deposed from his throne by his own son. I visualize him by a warm fire, perhaps poking the coals with a stick, and humming an old familiar hymn. His thoughts turned to all the rescues and blessings of the past. So very many rescues.

 

          Joel says that old men “dream dreams” but I know that old men also remember. So many things we were sure would dash all our hopes were chased away by the grace of God. We escaped time and time again. So, we learned to trust God’s wonderful works. We were not lucky. We were guarded, protected, and received richly those things we needed. Those are good memories. Nostalgia.

 

          The stretching forth of the hands is an almost universal gesture of pleading. David reaches out to a sure supply. He need not beg, but he does. His whole being craves his God like a thirsty man in a dry land. The language and imagery is graphic and colorful.

 

          Maybe this morning you are remembering the days of old. If so, focus on God’s marvelous rescue and supply. He sees you now and knows your circumstance. His mind is toward you for good and His hands are full. Reach out to Him in prayer.

 

Jer 29:10

11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

 

Lord, let me remember your good works toward me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment