Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2020

SNOW LIKE GRACE!

 

Saturday, October 31, 2020

 

SNOW LIKE GRACE!

 

Job 38:22-23

22 Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail,

23 Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war?

 

Ps 51:7

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

 

           Of all the wonders of God, I think snow is most wonderous. According to an article from the Library of Congress, “The scientific consensus states that the likelihood of two large snow crystals being identical is zero.” The only similarity between one flake and another is that both star shaped flakes have six points. Moreover, God-made snow has a complex crystalline structure whereas snow from snow machines is simply frozen fragments. Only God owns the “treasures of the snow!”

 

           Snow covers all ugliness! In that respect, it is like grace. As the snow begins to cover, we can still see patterns and shapes of the ugliness that is underneath, but when it is piled high, even the shapes of the past are hidden. Wonderous beauty is the result. Peter urged us to “grow in grace.” (2 Peter 3:18)

 

           I am so unlike God! I see ugliness and want to destroy it. God wants to cover it and make it beautiful. I see wrong and want to punish it without mercy. God gently and gradually makes it a wonder to behold. The grace that covers me I want to withhold from others like me. I am not like God, except in wrath. I would be more gracious but most often I am not.

 

           Wrong deserves to be punished, and will be, but for those who sit still and yield to God’s gracious working, their wrong, flake-by-mysterious flake, can be covered. Peter, once again, gives us good counsel in 1 Peter 4:8, “And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.”

 

Dear God of Grace restrain the wrath in me and cover me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment