Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2019

WHAT TO BRING TO CHURCH!


Sunday, August 25, 2019

WHAT TO BRING TO CHURCH!

Ps 122:1
122 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord.

Ps 84:10
10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

           Bring an excited anticipation! The word “doorkeeper” signifies a threshold. The Psalmist says that even to stand in the doorway peering in would be better than the wild but empty entertainment of other venues. When I was in the Philippines for a visit, the church was packed to overflowing. The accommodations were simple and the comforts few but these people stood outside at the windows.

           Bring your need for spiritual refreshment! The Psalmist was glad to go to the house of worship because of the stark contrast with the rest of the world. We live in hard times and travel in harsh places. What a refreshment it is to wash our feet in the cool waters of welcome.

           Bring a prayer! Jesus said:  “My house shall be called the house of prayer.”  (Matt 21:13) Bring a pray for yourself and others. Bring a prayer for your Pastor too because he has listened to painful stories he can’t share. He has wrestled with what to say today and just how to say it.

           Bring an offering! “Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.” (1 Chron 16:29) The idea of worship has always been attached to giving.

           Bring a friend! In John 1:41 through verse 45 we see Andrew bringing his brother, Peter and Philip bringing Nathaniel. This is how the Gospel is spread and this is how the church grows.

Make me a blessing

1 Out in the highways and byways of life,
many are weary and sad;
are weary and sad
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife
making the sorrowing glad.

Refrain:
Make me a blessing,
Make me a blessing,
Out of my life
out of my life
May Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O savior, I pray,
I pray Thee, my Savior,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

2 Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love;
Tell of His pow'r to forgive;
His pow'r to forgive.
Others will trust Him if only you prove
true ev'ry moment you live.

Refrain:

3 Give as 'twas given to you in your need;
Love as the Master loved you;
Be to the helpless a helper indeed;
Unto your mission be true.
Refrain

Dear Lord, I’ll be in church in just a few hours. Make me a blessing to someone today! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment