Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

FEELING WHAT OTHERS FEEL!


Wednesday, August 14, 2019

FEELING WHAT OTHERS FEEL!

John 11:32-35
32 Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. 33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled,
34 And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. 35 Jesus wept.

           I attended a funeral yesterday for a dear friend. I knew the family well and I found myself weeping at times during the service. I have officiated way too many funerals and one can become emotionally calloused due to the familiarity with grief. But yesterday I wept a bit. It surprised me a little.

           Did Jesus weep for the sisters of Lazarus? Did he weep for Lazarus? Did He weep for himself? Perhaps it was the general misunderstanding of the nature of death displayed by the onlookers. May it was everything!

           The dictionary defines “empathy” as “the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.” The key difference between the word sympathy and empathy is that word “share.” This allowed Jesus to actually feel what others were feeling. He felt the heartache of loss as strongly as anyone at the tomb and responded with the same kind of tears.

No one understands like Jesus;
He's a Friend beyond com-pare.
Meet Him at the throne of mercy;
He is waiting for You there.

No understands like Jesus;
Every woe He sees and feels.
Tenderly He whispers comfort,
And the broken heart He heals

Dear Lord, thank you for feeling what I feel – even when I can’t understand my own feelings. Thank you for your companionship and partnership in my every circumstance. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment