Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2019

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!


Saturday, August 10, 2019

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!

Luke 12:47-48
47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

We live in an age void of personal responsibility having replaced it with syrupy sentimentality and feeble excuses. Violence is due not to the depraved nature and twisted will but to some long-buried abuse in childhood. Anything from promiscuity to bestiality is now excused because of some perverse act in childhood.  Perhaps someone robbed you of your candy!

Without minimizing the trauma of childhood experiences, let me just say that there are many well balanced individuals who are well balanced despite childhood trauma. When calling His disciples Jesus did not say: “Hey Peter, I know you come from a long line of cussing folks and shallow thinkers but if you get around to it, I’d like you to seriously consider following me.” No, He simply said “Follow me!”

Our ill temper, we say, is a result of our breeding. We are a volatile mixture of Scotch and Irish…with perhaps too much Scotch. It’s not really our fault! We march into a public place and begin shooting because the boss took away our morning coffee break. It’s really not our fault. But the Prodigal son realized when he was standing knee deep in hog slop that he was there because of his own stupidity. He continued in his misery until the moment he took ownership of his actions.

Luke 15:17-19
17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

There will come a time when we will stand before God without our sack full of excuses!

Rom 14:11-12
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Dear Lord, I come to Thee without excuses. Like the gospel song says: “Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to thy cross I cling.” AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment