Pages

Monday, December 10, 2018

IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE!


Monday, December 10, 2018

IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE!

Matt 5:13-16
13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

           Every year, at about this time, I begin to think about my favorite hero, George Bailey. You remember George. His family ran the Bailey Building and Loan. They made it possible for the average man to live in a small but comfortable cottage in Bedford Falls.

           George had a boatload of unfulfilled ambition. He wanted to travel and see the world but he became shackled to the building and loan when his father died. George began to gather supplies for one huge pity party that came to a climax when he jumped off the river bridge in the midst of a snow storm. That’s a chilling thought! Even more curious was Clarence, the bungling, wingless angel second class. It was his assignment to show George just how his influence had made a difference in the lives of so many. He said: “Strange, isn’t it? Each man’s life touches so many other lives. When he isn’t around, he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?”

           Each year, because of Clarence and George, I take inventory of my influence. I try to do it honestly but humbly. It refreshes me to know that often what I think are simple things have the most profound impact. A kind word costs nothing but to the hurting it is a great treasure.

           I also take inventory of those precious people who have made a great difference in my life. The list is long and written in gold. I am most thankful to the man who first visited me and convinced me to ride a rattling church bus to Sunday school. It was my introduction to Christ. I’ve never been the same. 

           Today you will be met by those who may change your life forever. Watch for them for they are everywhere. You will also have an opportunity to influence others either for good or for ill. As a believer you are salt. You get to decide whether or not you are salty. Go! Be salt and light to a tasteless and dark world.

Dear Lord, thank you for the wonderful people that have made such a huge difference in my life. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment