Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

GOOD MORNING, LORD!


Wednesday, October 24, 2018

GOOD MORNING, LORD!

Ps 5:1-3
5 To the chief Musician upon Nehiloth, [Nehiloth is a flute] A Psalm of David. Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation.
2 Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.
3 My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.

           Morning seems best for my devotional meditations. Often I rise before anyone else so that I may be alone with my thoughts and my God without interruption. David seemed to prefer the mornings as well. In the scripture above, we may see an awakening prayer.

           The word “meditation,” in verse one is the word hagiyg which means “to murmur or to complain.” Grumblers may take courage knowing that God considers what we are considering. Those deep, perhaps disappointing, thoughts are intercepted by a listening God. The fretful unfinished projects of yesterday and the daunting challenges of today we may bring to a considerate God.

           David moves on to the word “cry” in verse two. This word is the Hebrew word sheva’ and is basically a “haloo.” Moving from murmuring thoughts, David now directly addresses God with a hello! Formal communication is initiated and a response is earnestly expected. Hello, Lord!

           In verse three the two words “my prayer” are not present and are italicized in your Bible. The entire meaning is wrapped up in the word “direct” which is the word ‘arak which means “to set things in order.” Now we see the list appear. On this list is written all the things that challenge and trouble me. I now have God’s attention! He is aware of my emotions and I have engaged Him in direct communication. Now I offer Him my list of complaints.

           In verse two David, the king, acknowledges God as King of Kings. He says, “thou art my king and my God.” Authority and Majesty are wrapped in worship. He rules the affairs of my life and His power is a comfort to my weakness.

           Finally, in verse three, David “looks up” expectantly. He has groaned while God listened. He has formally addressed the Lord with a hello and given a detailed list of complaints. He has acknowledged God as King and God and now he looks up expectantly. It’s time to begin the day knowing that God now knows what is troubling me. Throughout the day I will be watching for God’s intervention.

              A quote from Benjamin Franklin seems appropriate here: “The longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of man; and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?”

Dear Lord, acquaint yourself with my pains and my problems. Provide both ointment and remedies. I acknowledge your authority and majesty. As I lay my list before you, I can look up expectantly for answers. All day long I will watch for your intervention. Thank you, Lord. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment