Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2018

EVERY JOINT SUPPLIES!


Sunday, October 21, 2018

EVERY JOINT SUPPLIES!

Eph 4:15-16
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

           Thom S. Rainer has written a book called I Am a Church Member. In it, he outlines certain aspects of church membership. Personally, I think being a church member, if I treat it seriously, colors every aspect of my life.

           Paul told the Ephesians that their membership in the church should supply something. Each member brings something personal into the whole. Every joint supplies something! Paul reminded the Corinthians that even the smallest and weakest members of the body are “necessary!” The Greek word for necessary is anagkios which actually means “close of kin.”  

           Church membership affects me personally! I am guided in my behavior by the church’s creeds. I am challenged by and accountable to the other members. They have my permission to arrest my spiritual decline and to encourage me when I do well. We march together.

           Church membership affects my family! Our schedule is greatly affected by the events on the church calendar. The collective moral conscience of the church shapes the morality of the family. The harmony in the home is greatly influenced by my church membership.

           Church membership affects me socially! The background noise in restaurants is made up of individual conversations. I had a lady tell me that she “knew” I was a pastor because she had overheard a conversation in a local restaurant. It’s a small town! People listen and make judgments about the church and my Savior based on my casual conversation over a taco!

           Church membership affects my church! Not only does church membership affect me but I actually affect my church for good or for ill. If I am an unhappy grumbler my church will be viewed as such. If I am involved then the church will benefit from my talents and my energy. If I am casually associated then the church will suffer by my abandonment of my post. My church is a reflection of myself. I cannot complain about my church without pointing a finger directly at my own face.

           As a functioning member I will give. I will serve. I will minister. I will evangelize. I will study. I will seek to be a blessing to others. I will remember that “if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.” (1 Corinthians 12:26)

Dear Lord, keep reminding me of the importance of my church membership. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment