Pages

Monday, October 29, 2018

A LONG REMEMBERED GIFT!


Monday, October 29, 2018

A LONG REMEMBERED GIFT!

Mark 14:8
8 She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.

           Fifty years ago, just before leaving home to begin Bible college studies, an elderly lady baked me a pie. I don’t even remember what kind of pie it was. Perhaps it was double crust apple but that detail has escaped me. What has not flown away is the memory of that simple kindness. The lady was probably living on retirement income so she couldn’t give me money. She didn’t offer sage advice. She simply did what she could. She baked me a pie.

           The fact that I remember the kindness and not this woman’s name is testimony to the power of small investments made in others. It may seem insignificant to us but it may literally linger a lifetime in the grateful mind of the recipient.

           Thanksgiving is just days away and we will gather with family and try to remember why we are thankful. It shouldn’t be as hard as it usually is. Perhaps it would be easier if we recalled the small kindnesses given simply. These enrich our lives and bore deeply into our thinking. They make a home there and change us for the better. For this we should be thankful.

           Stop thinking of what you can’t afford to do. Stop mourning your lack of time and energy. Just do what you can do and ask God to bless it. Your gift may last a lifetime.

Dear Lord, today someone will need a small act of kindness. Let me do what I can to be a blessing to others. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment