Pages

Monday, June 18, 2018

THE MARKS OF THE LORD!


THE MARKS OF THE LORD!

Gal 6:17
17 From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

           Paul was not claiming that he bore the marks (stigmata) of Calvary which were the two piercing wounds in his hands, the two in his feet, and the final stab in Jesus’ side. No, but Paul had been beaten, stoned, and left for dead. He had scars!

           The word “trouble” is the Greek kopos which literally meant “to reduce my strength; to wear me out.” What he was asking the Galatian church was that they put an end to their contentions among themselves; return to the pure doctrine of the Gospel; abandon those who were leading them astray; separate from the church those who were corrupting and disturbing it; and to stop grieving him by their behavior.

           Most ministers today have not “resisted unto blood, striving against sin.” (Hebrews 12:4) However there are wounds that are not seen. The school yard chant of “sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never harm me” is not completely accurate. Yet Paul comes to the end of his letter and he ends it the way he began – with grace!

Gal 6:18
18 Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

Dear Lord, I know that my marks indicate ownership and I am glad that I am yours! May your grace abound both to those who have wounded me and those who pour in oil and wine. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment