Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2018

REPENTANCE!


REPENTANCE!

Ps 51:1-3
51 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

           Merriam-Webster says that “repentance” is an intransitive verb that means “to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one’s life.” That’s pretty good from a non-theological source.

           Repentance has assumed a cultural transformation. Today repentance often means one of two things. [1] “Lord, I’m sorry that I got caught. I’ll be more careful in the future.” [2] “Lord, I feel guilty about this and will work harder so I can relieve myself of this guilty feeling.”

           Repentance denies certain natural tendencies and desires. Paul acknowledged the struggle of the two natures in Romans chapter 7. It is not easy to truly repent.

           Repentance means “to change your mind and amend your actions.” It requires one to agree with God regarding sin and to follow God in a new pattern of behavior.

 Jer 18:11
…return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.

Dear Lord, every day is a struggle to agree with you regarding sin and to follow you in my behavior. Please give me your Holy Spirit for guidance and your grace for cleansing. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment