Pages

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

PRESSING ON!



PRESSING ON!

Phil 3:13-14
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

           The little word “press” can be found in our Authorized version only nine times. Only twice in the Old Testament where the Hebrew refers to the wine press. There are three Greek words used in the New Testament which are translated “press.” Five times it is the Greek ochlos which basically means a riot of people or a crowd. It is helpful to remember the word sounds like “Oh! Close!” Once more, in Luke chapter 8 the word means to squeeze in from every side.

           However, the word in our text this morning is the Greek word dioko and it means “to pursue or to chase after to obtain.” That is my focus and I recommend it to you as well.

           Spiritually, there are hindrances and distractions which must be discarded in order to press ahead. Let us first identify them in our lives. We must see them for what they are and cast them aside.

           Warren Wiersbe offers this comment: “Self-evaluation can be a dangerous thing, because we can err in two directions: (1) making ourselves better than we are, or (2) making ourselves worse than we really are. Paul had no illusions about himself; he still had to keep "pressing forward" in order to "lay hold of that for which Christ laid hold" of him. A divine dissatisfaction is essential for spiritual progress.”

Dear Lord, let me not linger too long with the distractions along the way. Let me run with patience the race set before me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment