Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

A STRANGE VINE!

A STRANGE VINE!

Jer 2:21 Yet I had planted thee a noble vine, wholly a right seed: how then art thou turned into the degenerate plant of a strange vine unto me?

           The context of chapter 2 is God’s complaint against backsliding Judah. Several strong analogies describe the insult shown to a God. In verse 13 God says that Judah had abandoned the fountain of living waters and had resorted to hand dug cisterns – cisterns that leaked and could not hold water. Judah had been planted by the hand of God then nurtured and watered carefully. How could it have become this “strange” [adulterous, foreign and outlandish] vine?

Isa 5:4 What could have been done more to my vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?

Deut 32:32-35
32 For their vine is of the vine of Sodom, and of the fields of Gomorrah: their grapes are grapes of gall, their clusters are bitter:
33 Their wine is the poison of dragons, and the cruel venom of asps.
34 Is not this laid up in store with me, and sealed up among my treasures?
35 To me belongeth vengeance, and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.

It is a great affront to God to neglect Him and forget Him, failing to acknowledge His kindnesses, withholding the tributes of love and praise due Him, and worst of all, to turn to idols which cannot possibly do them any good. Such backslidings are invariably followed with severe corrections that the backslider might read his sin in the punishment. (The Summarized Bible) Set against this great backsliding is a faithful God who does not forget His own.

Isa 49:15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.

Dear Lord, I have forgotten you countless times but you have never forgotten me. Restore me and keep me close to you. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment