Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

RICH TOWARD GOD!

RICH TOWARD GOD!

Luke 12:16-21
16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be , which thou hast provided?
21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

           It is unfortunate that this portion of scripture immediately conjures up thoughts of money. Yes, that is the primary subject, but underneath this lays a deeper problem than the hoarding of resources. We find it in verse 21 where we read: “himself…not…God!” The foundational problem is a self-focused life; a mind with no regard for God.

           Many are they that think of God and the church when their resources are meager. They appear at the church door to beg for relief. Few are they, when fortunes increase, that will appear at the church door to donate a portion of their excess. Both acts can point to a self-focused life.

Ps 10:4
4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.

Isa 26:3
3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Ps 45:1
45:1 My heart is inditing [gushing forth] a good matter:

           What’s on your mind today? Are you over taxed with the thoughts of today’s responsibilities? Are you at peace because deep inside there is the assurance that God has accepted you and is guiding you? Where are your thoughts today?

Dear Lord, let my thoughts be toward you today and let this be the guide of my life. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment