Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

SO VERY MANY THINGS!

SO VERY MANY THINGS!

Ps 61:2-4
When my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.
4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

          It’s all part of our language! The word “overwhelmed” is described in many different colloquialisms. We refer to the straw that breaks the camel’s back and we understand that a camel can carry an enormous weight of cargo but it has its limit. One more straw and his back breaks beneath the load. This is what we mean when we say: “That’s the last straw!”

          This past winter which seems so long ago saw some very heavy snowfall in the northeast. The roofs of some buildings simply collapsed beneath the weight and yet a snowflake alone is light as a feather and can be carried by the wind. We all know it is not the individual flake but the accumulation of several feet of snow that breaks the beams.

          Perhaps the idea of the word “overwhelmed” is best described by a ship struggling in a violent storm. Its mighty engines struggle against the waves as it is lifted up and then slammed down. The waves crash over the rails and wash away the rigging. For a few moments the ship is literally sunk only to bob to the top again. Life is often like that but when our hearts are overwhelmed we have a rock of refuge in our Lord.

Isa 54:10
10 For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee.

Dear Lord, so very many little things weigh me down. I will come into the house of the Lord where my soul finds refuge. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment