Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

FAITH LIKE A LITTLE BIRD


FAITH LIKE A LITTLE BIRD

Matt 6:26-33
26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith ?
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

          My very first sermon was preached from this text forty years ago. It was New Year's Eve at a watch-night service. These services are not popular now but we would meet at church and preach, sing and pray till one year was spent and another born. Since I was going off to be a preacher, my own preacher thought it was time to begin so he asked me to preach.

          I had heard hundreds of sermons but had never preached one. How would I begin? What would be my topic? I decided to begin where my fears were. I had resigned a good paying job at a world wide company and was about to leave with only the promise of a kitchen job awaiting me. Faith would be a must!

          Supply along the journey and safe arrival at our destination is not so much a struggle of faith but a result of our focus. If we focus on the supply there will be anxiety but if we focus on the Kingdom then the supply will take care of itself. This I have learned after forty years of practicing a life of faith.

          Early in the morning the little birds sing and it is not a song of doom but of delight. The sun is up and the earth is full of seeds and grubs free for the picking. Sitting on a wire he lifts his head and sings his praise. God has again provided.

Dear Lord, let my faith be like that of the little bird today. AMEN
 

No comments:

Post a Comment