Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

SO RUN!

SO RUN!

1 Cor 9:24
24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

As I sat last night in a huge convention center watching my granddaughter graduate from high school, I was struck by the contrasts which I saw. I am, of course, pleased with the accomplishments of my number one granddaughter but it occurred to me that graduation is much like the coming judgment of our works. Here is what I saw.

High achievers!

           I was pleased to see that, at this school, there were many who had received various prizes and awards for excellence. Almost one third of the graduating class had won some kind of scholarship. Gold braids abounded! This is what we want for all those who run. In the race for the laurels at the judgment seat of Christ, this is what the master wants as well.

The Very Bright!

I realize this is a blanket judgment on my part and liable to stern scrutiny but it seemed to me that there were those who were gifted and talented who might have done better had they applied themselves to the task. The Bible is clear that each of us is gifted and our gifts are personal and can’t be compared to the gifts of another. We recognize this as individual potential.

Matt 25:14-17
14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.

Those who Finished their Course!

           I was surprised to see many who did not earn any kind of adornment and yet the announcer said that they were “A +” students. I’m glad the announcer told me this. These are like those who had only two talents but they were faithful with what they had been given and had “gained other two.” They were good students and good kids though they had won no prize. They had lived up to their potential.

           There seemed to be another category which I hesitate to mention. There seemed to be a few who had carelessly applied themselves. You could see it in their demeanor and their dress even though they were covered with a gown. My heart broke for those because they will have a more difficult life all because they did not live up to their potential, or so it seemed to me as I observed this moment in their lives.

1 Cor 9:25-26
25 Now every athlete who goes into training conducts himself temperately and restricts himself in all things. They do it to win a wreath that will soon wither, but we [do it to receive a crown of eternal blessedness] that cannot wither.
26 Therefore I do not run uncertainly (without definite aim). I do not box like one beating the air and striking without an adversary.
AMPLIFIED

Dear Lord, you have given me gifts and talents. Let me use them faithfully with purpose and good results. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment