Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

I’M NOT MY OWN!

I’M NOT MY OWN!

1 Cor 6:19-20
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

           Man was created to be a free spirit. He was placed in the Garden of Eden and given the power of choice. It doesn’t take long for a toddling child to express his independence from even his parents. There are, of course, responsibilities and consequences of our freedom and our choices.

           The believer has been “bought with a price” and it was a costly purchase indeed. God traded His Son for us and we are His not only by creation but by purchase. Since our conversion there is a tension that exists between our self determination and God’s will. We want to please our self but we no longer have that full right since we have “given our heart to God.” We are not our own! We have volunteered to be soldiers under authority and discipline. This relationship is described by the centurion and once again by Paul. If I balk at my orders or assignments; if I complain of the conditions or supplies then I am not a good soldier.

Matt 8:9
9 For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.

2 Tim 2:4
4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Dear Lord, lead me and I will follow. I am not my own. I belong to you. Thank you for your costly investment in me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment