Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2024

SOMEONE TO HELP

 

Thursday, March 7, 2024

 

SOMEONE TO HELP


Gen 2:18

18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

 

          Not every English word that we find in Scripture has a corresponding original word. In the verse above the word “help” is not in the original. What is translated into our English is the word “meet.” This is the word ‘ezer and it simply means help or aid. It springs from the primitive word ‘azar which has a very tender meaning which is “to surround; to protect; to aid; and to succor.” Such is the wife that Adam received as a gift.

 

          Sometimes I forget that the most loving thing I can do for my wife is to be needed. To need help. I am both independent and stubborn, and a few other things I won’t mention here. Sometimes I frustrate my wife by insisting that I do it myself, whatever it is. I become like a toddler who wants to accomplish and succeed without considering that “to help” is her very purpose.

 

1 Peter 3:7

7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

 

          It is interesting to me that the word which we see as honour is the word TIME [tee-may] in the original and it means “valuables, honor, and dignity.” Once again, the word “meet” means “suitable, a perfect counterpart, a perfect fit.”

 

Dear Lord, let me yield to the purpose of my wife and allow myself to be helped by her. It means I must relinquish some independence and become somewhat vulnerable. Let me help her to help me. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment