Pages

Monday, March 18, 2024

NOT ENDED – EXTENDED

 

Monday, March 18, 2024


NOT ENDED – EXTENDED

 

2 Tim 2:1-2

1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

 

          I had a bit of an epiphany while on the way to church yesterday. Although I am retired from active pastoral ministry, that ministry has not ended, it is instead extended through the lives of those I have shepherded through the years. They are the “others also.” It was a refreshing thought.

 

          In every ministry, even the smaller ones, there have been those who have picked up the baton and continued the race. The little girl we picked up in our car and brought to Sunday school is now a pastor’s wife with children who have become missionaries. The brilliant young man who knelt beside my old yellow plastic couch to trust Jesus is now a retired law officer and judge with grandchildren of his own. The couple who are dear friends though miles away are now retired pastors with two missionary children. One teen boy is now a pastor in Virginia. Another teen girl is now a pastor’s wife with children in Bible college.

 

          It is significant that Paul is talking to young Timothy. Paul was “ready to be offered.” (2 Tim. 4:6) He was about to deliver his own ministry into the hands of a younger man. He urged Timothy to do the same.

 

          In the Christmas classic, A Wonderful Life, Clarence said to George Bailey, “You see, George, you really had a wonderful life.” George didn’t have much because he had given so much away, and that spirit of giving had reproduced itself repeatedly. The gospel is like that. When committed to faithful men, it just keeps going and going.

 

2 Tim 4:7-8

7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

 

Thank you, Lord, for the rich memories of your blessings. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment