Pages

Sunday, October 22, 2023

THE ELEVENTH HOUR

 

Sunday, October 22, 2023

 

THE ELEVENTH HOUR

 

Matt 9:36-38

36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.

37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few;

38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

 

Matt 20:6-7

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

 

          The eleventh hour was the Jewish five o’clock in the evening. Labor and commerce closed at six. There was but one hour left to do business! This is symbolic of the limit of our opportunity to reach the unsaved. It is a daunting task and a sobering reality.

 

          Everyone seems to agree that our time on this blue ball is running out though the reasons range from the sublime to the ridiculous. Some claim that nature is degrading and that humans are destroying the very life-sustaining aspects of it. Christians believe that there is an end coming but that the reason is God’s clock. So both sides shout and argue at one another while the world waits for redemption.

 

MY HOUSE IS FULL (BUT MY FIELD IS EMPTY)

 

There is peace and contentment in my Father's house today

Lots of food on the table and no one is turned away

There is singing and laughter as the hours pass by

But a hush calms the singing as the Father sadly cries

 

My house is full, but my field is empty

Who will go and work for Me today

It seems my children all want to stay around my table

But no one wants to work my field

No one wants to work my field

 

Push away from the table

Look out through the windowpane

Just beyond this house of plenty

Lies a field of golden grain

And it's ripened unto harvest

But the reapers, where are they?

In the house

Oh, count the children

Hear the Father sadly say

 

My house is full, but my field is empty

Who will go and work for Me today

It seems my children all want to stay around my table

But no one wants to work my field

No one wants to work my field

 

Dear Lord of Harvest, send forth laborers. AMEN

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment