Pages

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

 

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

 

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

 

Ps 77:1-4

77 I cried unto God with my voice, even unto God with my voice; and he gave ear unto me.

2 In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord: my sore ran in the night, and ceased not: my soul refused to be comforted.

3 I remembered God, and was troubled: I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah.

4 Thou holdest mine eyes waking: I am so troubled that I cannot speak. KJV

 

Rom 8:26

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. KJV

 

          I was up early this morning. I used to do this all the time but, in retirement, I have learned to sleep a bit later, like normal people. Today was different. I rose early and went to my chair to think and to pray. Think I certainly did. So many thoughts and such emotional debris that I could not form a complete sentence in my mind much less form a prayer. Perhaps you have experienced this too.

 

          Psalm 77 seems to suggest we pray aloud, “with our voice.” I couldn’t do that because the rest of the house was sleeping. Albert Barnes suggests that the phrase “my sore ran in the night” indicates upraised and outstretched hands. Clearly the writer was in sleepless distress. So much so that he could not pray.

 

          Fortunately, we have the Holy Spirit who knows us so well that He can finish our sentences or form them for us. I am so glad for this because often I have prayed dumb things instead of simply remaining dumb.

 

Ps 19:14

14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

 

AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment